Support the Citizens Declaration today
Add your voice in shaping the future direction of NATO
Heads of State issued A Declaration on Alliance Security at the NATO 60th Anniversary Strasbourg / Kehl Summit in April 2009. A few days prior to this a Citizens Declaration of Alliance Security was launched at a Shadow NATO Summit organised by BASIC, Bertelsmann Stiftung, ISIS Europe and NATO Watch.
Further details can be found in the conference report, The Shadow NATO Summit: Options for NATO - pressing the reset button on the strategic concept.
NATO's "Strategic Concept" is its core mission statement, and the current 1999 version predates the 9/11 attacks on the United States and the sending of NATO forces to Afghanistan. The Strasbourg/Kehl Summit launched a process that is expected to lead to a new NATO Strategic Concept in late 2010.
The Citizens Declaration sets out some of the basic values and principles to inform the debate about NATO’s new Strategic Concept, including:
- Accountable ways of working;
- Upholding human security;
- New and more effective approaches to conflict prevention and security building;
- Meeting future disaster response needs; and
- Developing a wider and more inclusive network of partners.
We believe that you and the other 890 million citizens of the 28 Member States of NATO should have a voice in shaping the future strategic direction of the Alliance.
We need you help. With a show of public support, we can make it clear that citizens care about these issues – and provide political leaders the backing they need to pursue a new vision for NATO.
Have your say (click to go):
1. Join in the debate on the future of NATO
2. Send you comments directly to NATO via the Alliance’s own Strategic Concept Discussion Forum
3. Make a donation to support our efforts to reform outdated NATO policies.
4. Tell your friends and colleagues about the Citizens Declaration, use the email link below.